Monday, February 2, 2009

New Studio




I am so happy to have my old studio room converted into more spacious form. Four walls torn down and new floor that one does not have to watch ones step. Old oven for baking bread removed. That one I thought a long time but decided that I am not going to become a one man bakery. I'll leave it to others more able.

The floor was constructed over years - or should I say over decades or centuries - since the house was built during 1840's. Nobody seems to know the exact year but they say it's one of the oldest buildings here that has been occupied ever since. There were couple of years late 1990s that no-one lived here, the place was a coffee house for those returning from service on Sundays.
As it was and still is, the building is after its long years not very geometrical. The best one can do is to avoid too straight lines - they would appear very peculiar, indeed. I know many people that would not be comfortable living in a house like this, but I am happy to be part of the continuum. One of the former owners was the town painter. He did decorative works for furniture and painted houses and anything that was necessary.
The floor was partly rotten and consisted of pieces of wood and some parts were ten or more centimeters lower or higher than other parts. So we decided to save what was there to be saved and construct it anew.
The result is that I now have a lovely and historical studio for art work. Love it. Only downside is that I feel it to be so nice that I only sit there and stare the fireplace.

No comments: